Welcome to Fei Chao's Personal Page
I am an associate professor at the
Cognitive Science Department, School of Information Secience and
Engineering, Xiamen University. I received
my B.Sc. degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Fuzhou University,
China, and the M.Sc. Degree with distinction in computer science
from the University of Wales, U.K., in 2004 and 2005, respectively, and
the Ph.D. degree in robotics from the Aberystwyty University, Wales,
U.K. in 2009. I worked as a postdoc research associate under the
supervision of Professor Mark H. Lee at the Aberystwyth University from
2009 to 2010.
My research interests include developmental robotics, robotic
learning algorithms, machine learning, and artificial neural networks. My current
major research is to implement a robotic calligraphy system to enable a
5 degrees-of-freedom robotic arm to write Chinese characters and
English letters. The approach works by using developmental
learning algorithm, established in my previous work, to lead the robot
to learn the writing ability. In addition, the approach applies a novel
classifier ensemble method to enhance human gesture recognition
· Program Committee of UKCI2014 and UKCI2015
· Vice Chair of Xiamen Chapter of IEEE Computational Intelligence Society; IEEE member; and CCF member.
Natural Science Foundation of China: ``Developmental Robotic Writing
Control Driven by Enhanced Constraint-Lifting Algorithm'', No:
College of Electrical and Communication Engineering, Yuan Ze
University, Taiwan, "Robotic Calligraphy: Computational and Developmental
Department of Computer Science, Aberystwyth University, UK, "A
Developmental Approach to Robotic Hand-eye Coordination".
Selected Journal Papers
· Chen, C-H, Chung, C-C, Chao, F.,
Lin, C-M*, Rudas, I. J. Intelligent Robust Control for Uncertain
Nonlinear Multivariable Systems using Recurrent Cerebellar Model Neural
Networks. To appear in Acta Polytechnica Hungarica.
· Lin, C-M*, Yang, M-S, Chao, F., Hu, X-M, and Zhang, J. Adaptive Filter Design Using Type-2 Fuzzy Cerebellar Model Neural Network. To appear in IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems.
· Yao, G., Chao, F.*,
Su, C., and C. Zhou. Feature selection based classifier ensemble
reduction with classifier diversity evaluations. To appear in Soft Computing.
· Peng, H.*, Zhou, C., Hu, H., Chao, F. and Li, J. Robotic Dance in Social Robotics—A Taxonomy. IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems. 45, 3, 281--293, 2015.
· Chao, F.,
Wang, Z., Shang, C., Meng, Q., Jiang, M., Zhou, C., and Shen, Q.*. A
developmental approach to robotic pointing via human-robot interaction.
Information Sciences., 283, 288-303, 2014.
· Chao, F., Chen, F.,
Shen, Y., He, W., Sun, Y., Wang, Z., Zhou, C., and Jiang M*. Robotic
free writing of Chinese characters via human robot interactions. International Journal of Humanoid Robotics., 11(1), 1450007, 2014
· Diao, R.*, Chao, F., Peng, T., Snooke, N., and Shen, Q. Feature selection inspired classifier ensemble reduction. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics., 44(8), 1259-1268, 2014.
· Chao, F., Lee, M. H., Jiang, M.*, and Zhou, C. An Infant Development-inspired Approach to Robot Hand-eye Coordination. International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, 11 (15), 2014.
· Chao, F., Zhang, X.,
Lin, H, Zhou CL, Jiang M.* Learning robotic hand-eye coordination
through a developmental constraint driven approach. International Journal of Automation and Computing, 10(5), 414-424, 2013.
· Chao, F., Lee, M. H.*, and Lee, J. J. A developmental algorithm for ocular-motor coordination. Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 58(3), 239—248, 2010.
Selected Conference Papers
· Ge, J., Chao, F., and Zhou, C. Use of Possibility-Probability Distribution for Computational Evaluation of Chinese Calligraphy. Proceedings of 2015 UK Workshop on Computational Intelligence (UKCI), Paper number 39, 2015. (Best Student Paper Award)
· Zhu, Z., Chao, F., Zhang, X., Jiang, M., and Zhou, C. A Developmental Approach to Mobile Robotic Reaching. Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Intelligent Robotics and Applications (ICIRA2015), pp. 284--294, 2015.
· Yao, G., Chao, F.,
Zeng, H., Shi, M.*, Jiang, M., and Zhou, C. Integrate Classifier
Diversity Evaluation to Feature Selection Based Classifier Ensemble
Reduction. Proceedings of 2014 UK Workshop on Computational Intelligence (UKCI), 2014. (Best Student Paper Award)
· Chao, F., Sun, Y.,
Wang, Z., Yao, G., Zhu, Z., Zhou, C., Meng, Q., and Jiang, M. A Reduced
Classifier Ensemble Approach to Human Gesture Classification for
Robotic Chinese Handwriting. Proceedings of 2014 IEEE Conference on Fuzzy Systems (FUZZ-IEEE), 1720--1727, 2014.
· Wang, Z., Chao, F., Lin, H., Jiang, M., and Zhou, C. A Human-like Learning Approach to Developmental Robotic Reaching. Proceedings of 2013 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO), pp. 581—586, 2013.
· Chao, F., Lin, H., Jiang, M., and Zhou, C. A Developmental Constraint Driven Approach to developmental robotic hand-eye coordination. Proceedings of 2012 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics (ROBIO), pp. 1848—1853, 2012.
· Chao, F., Lin, H.,
Jiang, M., Shi, M. and J. Chao Integration of brain-like computational
structure and infant behaviorial pattern for robotic hand-eye
coordination. Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision (ICARCV), pp. 100—105, 2012.
· Shi M., Zhou, C., Chao, F., and Jiang, M. An algorithm for computing attribute reducts based on graph search strategy. Proceedings of the 2012 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), pp. 1—8, 2012.
Tel: +86 592 2580192 Email:
email@example.com Address: Cognitive Science Department,
Haiyun Campus, Xiamen University, Zeng Cuo An Xi Road, Siming District,
The information provided on this page
by me, Fei Chao (firstname.lastname@example.org), is under my own personal
responsibility and not that of Xiamen University. Similarly, any
opinions expressed are my own and are in no way to be taken as those of